Wednesday 31 December 2014

Light. Law. [High]Way. (60)

Be a good citizen. All governments are under God. Insofar as there is peace and order, it's God's order. So live responsibly as a citizen. If you’re irresponsible to the state, then you’re irresponsible with God, and God will hold you responsible. Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you’re trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear. Do you want to be on good terms with the government? Be a responsible citizen and you’ll get on just fine, the government working to your advantage. But if you’re breaking the rules right and left, watch out. The police aren’t there just to be admired in their uniforms. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it. That’s why you must live responsibly—not just to avoid punishment but also because it’s the right way to live. That’s also why you pay taxes—so that an orderly way of life can be maintained. Fulfill your obligations as a citizen. Pay your taxes, pay your bills, respect your leaders. - Romans13:1-6 The Message Bible.

We're winding down 2014, packing away the undone deeds and un-met targets in a dark closet, to be burnt at midnight tonight. At the same time, we're winding up for the new year and all that we hope to achieve. Hope is a-coming to the world. But there are those that continue to toil amidst the panic to sign off 2014 or sign into 2015. This is a tribute to those who I rarely have good words for. I celebrate the awesome way you served the nation i.e. me, today. 

Last night, the fridge started moaning and groaning at about 10 pm. Then the lights dimmed and finally, we were bathed in darkness. I have seen and heard several complaints about the inefficiency of UMEME this holiday season and I'd hoped that our village would remain unaffected. I was saddened to watch as we slowly slipped into darkness. The husband works for a service company and has great compassion for call centre folk. He was content to wait it out, afterall, when has UMEME ever rushed to anyone's rescue? I, on the other hand, was on the hotline in 5 minutes and chatted with a cheerful Olivia who took my name, phone number and account number, with a promise to look into the matter immediately.  A few minutes later, we were watching Mr Peabody and Sherman, courtesy of the Light of Uganda. Well done UMEME.

I had breakfast with a friend from varsity thisnmorning. It was a pleasant rarity since varsity is miles away [geographically and psychologically. Very few of my alumni ever wind up in Kampala. It's too close to Africa.] Anywho, we were talking about how difficult it is to do anything ethically in Uganda. There's always a guy looking for something on the side or under the table! 

After breakfast, I decided to go to InterPol. I didn't expect them to be open on New Year's eve. I'd just planned to find out what I needed to do to process a certificate of good conduct, with the aim of coming back later in Jan. 

I was shocked when I walked to the gate and found business as usual in the InterPol office! Even the photocopying lady had come in for the day. I was so impressed that I was able to submit my application today, complete with payments, fingerprints and everything. [I even forgave the fact that we  have to pay for and get a receipt for the "officer's allowance". At least, it was a standard 3,000/- per person and not dependant on the tone of one's skin or the label on one's jeans.] The Law actually made sense today. Well done Kale and kru! Now, if only we could just switch from a paper to paperless process... Out of the line and online... [wink, wink, Kagina].

On the way home, I was pleasantly surprised by another crew of gentlemen clearing the Way for me. KCCA, through Abu-baker and Co, were actually fixing the roads. Maybe they were trying to use up the 2014 budget before midnight or they had genuinely heard the cries of the pedestrians and motorists on Portbell Road. Whatever the case, I am glad Musisi's men were at work today. 

These are trivial issues, things that the government should obviously provide for us: light, law and paths. But my villagemates and I know not to take for granted the fulfillment of duties by our village guardians. We celebrate these moments when we see that there is hope of actual development. 

P.s. UMEME sent me a text this morning to say that my query had been addressed and that I should call if I have any other issues. It's not even my name on the account. But they bothered to show that they care ♡♡.

No comments:

Post a Comment