Wednesday 10 December 2014

Children (41)

I saw my children again. I hadn't seen them in months, since September. I sent gifts and treats when I could but I always felt like it was never enough. I was surprised by how many names I remembered and how many I had forgotten. They, on the other hand, remembered me. They smiled coyly as I walked in. Everytime I come home and see them, our initial meet is like a dance amongst forbidden lovers. I seek them, while they hide; behind the pillars; behind each other; behind their smiles. It takes a few minutes to warm up and then it's back to normal. 

It's time for the Christmas play, the busiest season of our year. I am the bad cop in this situation. I threaten to punish the lazy bones. I tell those who aren't good enough that they can't take on the roles they auditoned for. I re-assign them to other roles. The other teachers are more patient (or so it seems) and gentler on the children.The balance works for us. I am mean while the others wipe their tears. 

As usual, money is tight. We are being creative and recycling a lot of the costumes. Thankfully we have support from our mothers. They offered cake and new costumes for the older children. We still need decor and stage props. There was something about balloons. The children will love that! The play is on Sunday. God help us.

I am home and I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment