Thursday 1 January 2015

Wisdom (61)

The talk with my schoolmate yesterday has got me thinking big thoughts. I remember how I felt on graduation day. We were told that we had been trained to change the world, not just our bank accounts. All the hours we and our lecturers invested were meant to tune our skills, to prepare us to take on the greatest of challenges that Africa, our mother, and the world face.

My friend's in charge of the design and construction of a dam. Seriously.  He's my age and by end of this year people might have better access to electricity and water because of him. He has a side project that involves helping municipalities prepare and plan new developments. Plus, in his spare time, he's working on land development projects with another schoolmate. 

Then there's this young lady who made me think again about how I've used my time and skills. She just finished school and has a magazine running, a fashion design studio and various architectural projects.

I was talking to the husband about my inability to inspire myself and the lessons I've learnt from the others. We also happened to talk about a friend who just had a baby. He pointed out that that's a huge undertaking - bringing forth a human life. It's probably the biggest resposibility one could have since out of this one child could come the salvation of hundreds, thousands, millions or billions.

It makes me wonder: what am I doing with my time?

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." 
"Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." 
But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.  
Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant." Jeremiah 1:5-10. NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment