Friday 19 December 2014

Something about standing on the shoulders of giants (49)

One of the first times I was this nervous, I was about to face my first set of final exams. We'd studied and practiced for months but I was still scared. I've always been afraid of being examined by others. This was no different.  I was afraid I wouldn't meet the cut. All the evidence, my past results, parents' genetic make up and hard work could not console me. I was scared that 'they' would not deem me worthy of their precious Primary Leaving Examination certificate. 

Today, I dealt with that which I dread more than anything - the airport! I am convinced that there is a smell about airports, something like incense, that spreads gloom and doom. Almost every trip I've made in thw last 9 years involved me leaving for a long time. I moved to a foreign world and would have to adapt and adopt new patterns. I love sameness and consistency. I love predictability. This adapting and adopting unnerves me. 

I am glad that this time, though, I was bringing you home. The shady taxi operators kept nudging us out of the way, trying to isolate potential clients, like a wild cat stalks antelope in the savanna. I tried to wait inside, away from the heat, but the security staff stared at me, making me think I must have stepped in dog poo on the way here. I wasn't comfortable. The children looked out of place, over dressed and bored. They'd been waiting for hours. The Emergency Response Team rushed in with a stretcher. My heart skipped a beat. I started calculating your age, wondering if you are old enough to have heart trouble. Twenty minutes never seemed so long. 

Then you stepped out. I have never been so relieved to see your shaggy hair! We could finally leave the shell that is our international airport, with its gloom. I didn't mind that it rained on us as we put the bags in the car. Or that the drive home took 3 hours. It was great to laugh with you. I didn't know I'd missed home this much. 3 months is a long time. 

Just like the day I did my final exam, we stopped to pick up ice cream. I'm glad that some things never change. Welcome home Daddy.

1 comment: