Tuesday 16 December 2014

Of tunes and rhythms (46)

I was late for choir practice. But as it turned out, I was one of the first to arrive. I've been told several times that the organs that function to produce sound require exercise. Last week, we walked away from practice with barely audible voices. This week was a bit better. We were sore but survived. It definitely helped that we had water this time.   snywho, there's a joy in singing hymns by Handel and Mendelssohn in full harmony. Nevermind the fact that we stumbled over the solfa notes and rhythms. 

It took me back to 12 years ago. I remember struggling to read and perform a recorder piece for my final exam. I was shaking so had that I barely produced any sound out of the instrument. I survived that and actually aced the exam. I believe we will survive a few hours of throat aerobics. Whether or not the stress was worth it will depend on how we sound on Christmas eve. In the meantime, I missed hymns and all things traditional. It's good to be home in that sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment