Wednesday 24 December 2014

O Holy Night (53)

I haven't spent Christmas in Kampala for years. I realise that I am unsure about what to do here. I drove into town expecting a massive traffic jam. I thought there would be chaos and craziness. But I was able to find a parking space on Kampala road, right in front of the railway station. I went to the Art @Railway trade show. It's always lovely to go through the African craft amd fabric stalls. We went antique diving too. This time I made the wise (?) decision to leave the angel candle holder behind. Maybe next time... Lunch with Yvonne and her girls. And Aunt Rhona. This is what Kampala looks like on Christmas Eve.

This morning, the neighbour's turkey woke me up. I was used to the ducks and chickens, however, this turkey was a recent addition to the clan of squawkers. I remembered that the Luganda translation for Christmas - Sekukulu - actually means Turkey Day. Sure enough by 10 am, the air was filled with the aroma of roasted poultry. The duck and her ducklings were still alive and the size of the pieces on the sigiri indicated that the chicken had survived while the turkey had met its inevitable delicious end! Merry Christmas indeed! 

We've finally finished the Christmas ornaments. Buttons. Fabric. Glass bottles. Spray paint. Yarn. Lots of time. It is done. I think I may have been born late in life. I love 80s music and re-purposing stuff. Mum says they used to make their own underwear back in the day. I still save and re-use polyethene bags and wrapping paper. I love shopoing for antiques. Anywho, the ornaments are done!



I think I might forever stick to the Christmas Eve church service. It seems more meaningful than the elaborate drama that is the Christmas morning service. There's no need for a special dress or new shoes. There are less people, most of whom I know, unlike the cramped crowd on 25th. And the service ended early. 1.5 hours. That's gotta be a record for Bugolobi. I think I've decided on my Christmas celebration service. 

Candlelight Service 24.12.2014

No comments:

Post a Comment