Friday 5 December 2014

Golden love (38)

I think that when it comes to in-laws, I won gold. I've heard horror stories about in-laws who make impossible demands on newly-weds. While one might be busy figuring out the everydayness of a new marriage, especially one that involves a lot of travel, in-laws can be a source of unneeded pressure. I've seen people cry over failing to have children in the first year, or a mother-in-law who insists on teaching you what kind of food her son eats. Some go as far as to carry out weekly or daily inspections of the house checking for the tiniest speck of dust. They monitor the husband's weight to see if he loses or gains (this particular battle is always a loss for the bride. If he's too fat, you're over feeding him and trying to kill him with high cholesterol.  If he's too thin, you're starving him.)

She smiled when she saw me. I haven't been home in months but she didn't focus on that. She was glad I was home. She keeps talking about how well I look. Mbu I'm cute! She makes a habit of showing me off to the neighbours. She thanks me for looking after her son, like she is grateful for the favour I'm doing her. We gave her a framed photo from the wedding day and chocolate. She did a dance for us, praising God for such good children. She's decided that having an Acoli name means I must be able to speak the language now. I am one of her own. Did I mention that her cooking is amazing? And that she personally cooks every meal we have at home?

I won gold for sho! I am glad.

1 comment: