Monday 29 December 2014

Why I need to learn Luganda (58)

The scene opens as the main character, C, steps out of the passenger side of a white Mark II at a busy junction. The 'busyness' is made evident by the criss-crossing of motorcycles and pedestrians amongst the cars. C bids the driver farewell and crosses the road to her destination: Kintintale Market. 

C's manner and attire make it obvious that she isn't one of the vendors. In a pink shirt, faded black shorts, sketchers and black sunglasses, she walks past the matooke stalls and stops at D's vegetable stall. D is still busy with another customer,  so C waits. 

"Good morning. How are you?" The haggling begins. 

"I am well but hoping for a good New Year," D responds.

"Ok. Let's see if I can help you. How much are the tomatoes and green pepper?" the haggling continues. C pretends to be shocked by the prices but pulls a 20,000/- note out of her purse, anticipating that her total costs will be about 10,000/-. She notices a basket of fresh beans and moves on to check this out. Unknown to her, the note drops to her feet. 

The other vendors have been lazily watching the exchange between D and C. Their interest peaks as the money drops. T wais walking by on her morning tea rounds. She dares not hope for too much on such a slow day. Then the sees the red note lying on the ground. Quickly and quietly, she picks it and sneaks away. 

"Ehh! They've taken that woman's money and she hasn't noticed," B exclaims. C and D are so engrossed in their exchange that they barely notice the drama. 

"Madam, they've taken your money." C finally realises that she is being spoken to. She searches her purse and realises she has been robbed. 

"Did you see who took it? Where did she go to?" C begins to debate the merits and dimerits of shopping in the market. 

"She went this way. I know her. She serves tea in the market every morning. Let's go find her," B leads C on, leaving D staring after them with her almost-sold goods packed and ready. 

"Perhaps I should let it be, " C thinks to herself. "I don't want to deal with market drama. I don't know these people."

"Have you found her?" D joins the search and arrest crew.

"No. I think she's trying to avoid us. Let's go check at her cooking station. I know where it is," B leads the crew. 

They matched through the make-shift establishments at the back of the market. 

"I can't believe she just walked away with the money," B exclaims. "I thought she was going to hand it back to you."

"We didn't even notice what happened,"D joins in. "This is so sad. It's too early to be robbed."

"I really think this is getting too serious," C thinks to herself. "I was careless and I deserve this. What if she denies the accusations? What then?"

"This is her station," B announces. "Let's wait for her."

"Who are you looking for?" One of the other tea ladies asks. 

D and B explain the drama as all the tea ladies listen. 

"Imagine that! All along I thought she was a decent person," laments another tea lady. "Until now I actually considered her a friend. Greed changes people!"

"I think she saw the money and thought Christmas had come twice in 2014," added yet another tea lady. 

"Let's wait and see what she says," C reminds them. "I still don't know who she is or why she did it."

"There she is!" B exclaims. "Look at her smile. She still has the money in her hands! "

A chorus of questions greets her. 

"You! Where are you coming?"

"Why did you take the money?"

'But T, how disappointing!"

"Where's my money?"

"Can you imagine?"

T is laughing out loud, literally. 

"I just wanted to teach you a lesson," she says as the hands the money over to C. "Next time you won't be so lucky!"

In the actual tale, the only language spoken was Luganda of Buganda, Uganda. This is why I need  to learn the language or maybe just avoid markets in the south. I never struggle to communicate in the north. But that's another story. For now, we celebrate the tomatoes and green pepper that made for a lovely chick pea curry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment