Thursday 4 December 2014

Stains and stories (37)

It happened again today. It happens on such a regular basis that we've decided that I can't be seen eating in public. I suspect that as a child I used to eat with all of my body- eyes, mouth, fingers, feet and back. I am sure I've stained every cloth I own.

As I dabbed at the bean curry stain on my shirt, I remebered the sitting across from you that day. I was completely clueless about how nervous you were. You were trying to figure out whether to use a knife and fork or if pizza was a finger food. I on the other hand had settled so well that I sat cross-legged in the middle of a crowded restaurant.

Later, you told me you'd never taken a girl out before, at least not by yourself.  I went on and on about nothing in particular. As expected, bits of cheese and tomato paste landed on my shirt. I joked about leaving my bib behind and said I should never be allowed to roam bib-less into eating establishments. That was when you relaxed. You realised that I wasn't grading your performance. It wasn't a test. I didn't have a list of to-dos that you needed to succeed in. I was comfortable laughing and eating (and splattering food all over myself). You finally saw that I was more than my family's name or the school I went to.

We stayed so long that we wrote off class for the rest of that day. I remember feeling happy as I dozed off  on your shoulder in the crowded dala dala as we returned to campus. I drifted away for an hour, which amazed the rest of the passengers. you enjoyed watching my face as I dreamt. You enjoyed the puzzled looks on everyone's faces. You even wiped the dribble from the side of my face (and I didn't know you that well).

In that crowded space, on that busy day, we floated at our own pace. We belonged. We were happy. I am glad you asked this messy one out to another meal. I am glad.

1 comment: