Friday 2 January 2015

Pappette (62)

Tutu has always claimed that dogs should be an extension of one's security system; like sirens, lights and cameras. Mummy thinks we have too many dogs as it is. She doesn't understand why Daddy and I keep adopting more strays. Daddy's treated each like an extension of the family. He just bought them new collars for the new year. Apparently,  they gotta show up for 2015 too. So, when we saw Pappette almost 3 years ago, I knew he would back me up. 

We'd gone to Tusky's to buy dinner [that's what tired bachelors do in Ntinda]. On our way out, we found a tipsy gentle(?)man standing next to a shivering pup. She was so filthy and miserable. He said he was trying to sell her for 10,000/-. We walked passed him because I knew we had 4 dogs at home. The last addition to the family, Pushkin, the Russian, had been accepted on condition that he was the last stray we were taking in. I knew Mummy's patience and tolerance had been worn out. I also knew that I was in between jobs and living on savings. At that time even 10,000/- was a huge sacrifice, nevermind food purchases and vet trips that had to be done. 

Then she whimpered. She was lost and lonely. The saleman picked her up to keep her quiet. Right there and then, we [the husband and I] decided to adopt our first baby. I called Daddy, who promised he would back me up. We bought the tiny pup, bought her milk and took her home. 

I tried to bathe and feed her the next day. But I couldn't comb through her hair. It was so filthy and tangled it broke the comb. I was scared I might damage her skin. She couldn't hold in any food she ate in and was fond of eating wood and grass. I took her to the vet and she appropriately got carsick in my father's back seat. That smell stayed for months [on the bright side, I had a car all to my myself since only I could stand the smell]. 

She nearly died. I was on the phone with the vet every couple of hours for a week. She couldn't eat. She was put on drip. I was freaking out. Then...she came back to me. One day, I got a call and the vet said I could take her home. Her hair was smooth. Her bark was loud and she couldn't stop chasing my feet. 

Our baby's made it to 21 [in dog years]. I'm so glad we stopped by Tusky's for dinner that night. I'm glad I have my Pappette. 


No comments:

Post a Comment