Saturday 24 January 2015

Lawoko Day (79)

Yes. My mother and his were in labour on the same date, years apart. On the day he turned three, I was born. He gets away with easy birthday reminders. Who forgets their own birthday? Mother says I was born at about midnight. So, I could claim the 25th just as much as the 24th. But she says Idi Amin marched into Kampala on 25 January 1971. She wanted to separate the memory of my birth from that of the dictator (nevermind that he comes from the same neck of the woods as I do). 

I had a list of things to do by 28. I was rummaging through boxes in the house and found my list. So now that I've hit it, time to take stock. Why 28? In my infinite wisdom, I thought I would have completed my PhD by 28. I was an over ambitious child at 19. Time and experience have made me a tinnie bit wiser. Here's the list [remember,  I was 19]:

- Design a tutorial system for high school -> [not done] I tutored at Gayaza and thought I could change the world. I actually designed the system but my computer crashed with all my information. I've never mustered the motivation to re-do it.
- Create and produce a drama-> [done] We sorta do that every year at church, so maybe that could be considered an achievement.
- Establish a choir -> [done] Church drama is a musical, with a choir and dance and all of that.
- Start something; a consultancy firm, design house, NGO -> [not done] Engineering is no longer a friend of mine. I may never get this done.
- Run Two Oceans [done]
- Join AIESEC committee [done]
- Marry the husband [♡ done]
- Have babies [not done] I figured since mother was 29 when I was born, I've still got time.
- Start a school/orphan's home [not done] I had an idea to set up something for under privileged  children. I've worked and studied with children from the richest and poorest parts of Kampala. I figured the less fortunate ones need a hand, not another overpriced establishment that they can't access.
- Get a job [done]
- Join worship team [done] being in the worship team in church is like being with the cool kids at school, except that the worship team is unaware that they have this influence on people. I wanted in on the cool gang. Such childish thoughts and wishes we have.
- Have an internship outside Africa [done] All I have to say is that winter is overrated.
- Host fellowship at home [done] another one of those actions to get with the cool kids.
-  PhD by 28 [not done] not sure I will complete that one.

That was a mouthful. I was more optimistic about my abilities then than I am now! For now, I am glad I share this day and every other with him. Happy us day 2015! 

He's my Blu and I'm his Yello. 

No comments:

Post a Comment