Tuesday 20 January 2015

A.F.C.O.N (75)

It's that time again. The African Cup of Nations returns. I only watch football tournaments that involve African nations. I've failed to acclimatise to the commercial transaction that is the Premier league or Bundes Liga or La liga or what's the French one called? Even our own Super league (when they decide which is the official one) is too much money talk for me. These inter-country matches aren't just about football. It's a matter of tradition, national pride, heritage and Amandlha! 

As usual, the rules of the decent audience abide. The screen must be tuned into super sport 5 by 7pm. There will be time to eat and  discuss the day between 9 and 10 pm. Otherwise, one cannot ask for too much attention during the matches. 

While I inwardly cry because of the disappointing performance of the Cranes, I have been comforted by one fact. Father says that the Cameroonian goal keeper, Fabrice Ondoa, might be a relative. You see Ondoa is a Lugbara name. So, I may not have a country to support but I have found a brother! 

No comments:

Post a Comment