Sunday 23 November 2014

After the end (29)

It is many moons since we buried you, brother. I came back here to tell you that I did not let you down. I did not think that I would survive this. I did not believe that joy would come back into my life.  But I did survive and I did one better. I helped another, in the same way that you helped me.

One day, as I walked back from the fields, I met them. They were seated by the roadside, waiting. It seemed like they had been waiting forever, even though I had never seen them before. The sun had set on the day, making it difficult to see them amongst the shadows. I was the only one walking down the dusty road [You had taught me that a little extra work goes a long way, so I had stayed in the fields later than the others]. I also knew I would be the last person they would see until morning. I walked towards the tree under which they sat. My heart broke as they scampered to hide behind its thick stem. They were limping and appeared to have sore feet. There bare bodies were covered in grime, not the kind you get from a good day's work, but the kind that spoke of dark, dreary, damp living. 

"Hello!" I greeted, putting on my warmest smile. My voice seemed to scare them even more. I offered them a drink from my glass coca cola bottle [Do you remember the day we saved our bottle from the dreadful pile of rubbish? Why would anyone throw away something so useful? I have kept it since then, washing and re-using it each day]. The clear liquid aroused their curiosity. I placed the bottle on the ground and stepped away, giving them room to inspect and taste. 

They crept closer, painfully and slowly, letting out a wince with each step. They knelt down, sniffed at the bottle. The girl, who appeared to be the older of the two, decided it was worth the risk and took a sip. A few seconds later, seeing no averse effects, she passed it on to the brother. I watched in the half darkness, praying that they would finish their experimentation before it was too dark to reach the village. [I still lived in our little hut on the outskirts of the village. I have not had the heart to leave our memories behind.] They finished the water and set the bottle on the ground. Then they scurried back to the tree and stared at me. 

They had not said anything to me yet and seeing their unwillingness to approach me, I picked up the bottle, and continued my journey home. At first, I was worried that they would choose to risk another night in the wild. Then, I was glad to here their footsteps and winces behind me. They followed me home to our little hut. They have never stopped following me. 

They remind me of the days when I was your shadow. They are the reason I am here today. I want them to meet you, brother. I want them to know that you live beyond the grave, in my heart and in my mind. 

It is late. We must return. 

Good bye, brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment