Sunday 16 November 2014

You can do it! (23)

Today was all about trusting. I have always wondered why people insist on pushing others to do stuff that they are not comfortable doing. I always thought, "Seriously, if I said I am not able to do it, please leave me alone." 

Today I remembered something a rock climbing instructor told me ages ago. "Trust the rock. Trust that it is strong enough can hold you. trust those who are helping you climb. But most importantly that you have it in you to make it to the top."

Trusting the rock...Who does these things?
That was 13 years ago [give or take a week]. Today I was challenged to take on rock climbing, hiking and jogging [which was more of a slow trot] in one day.

Read the sign, if  you can.
I find that I am learning more and more lessons from the younger siblings. Ivan was my coach, challenging a reluctant me to take just one more step. I am out of shape. I was a sour companion. I cried and fretted over everything.

In the beginning, before the tears..
At one point we had to pull ourselves up a rock, about 7 metres high  using a chain. I was not sure I could trust the ability of my hands to lift me, the strength of the chain or the sturdiness of the rock. I was terrified.


What if I got tired half way and could not pause for a rest? What if I slipped? What if this or that? He simply said, "You can do it. I know you can." And indeed I was able to do it. Thrice! We climbed through crevices in between rocks, tip toed on the edges of short cliffs and pushed our tired bodies up this devil of a mountain.

We really did climb up through the middle of this pile of rock, literally. We squeezed and tugged our way to the top
Then we had the audacity to walk down another treacherous path. I was 20 mins behind him. But I made it. I am sore and bruised all over but I made it. I learnt to trust again; to trust others, trust the rock and myself. I can do it! [I need to work out more often!]

 

I also decided I want my garden to look like this.


2 comments: