Monday 3 November 2014

The truth about Uganda (11)

Since I am travelling home, I thought it befitting to read a book about a missonary's experience in Uganda. I am struggling to get through the book. Instead, I ended up watching 'How to Train a Dragon 2' and 'Planes 2'. It was that painful. I think the author was trying to appeal to an American audience. However, I think she wasted too many pages painting a picture of gloom and doom. Yes, Uganda is a third world country (by the UN's definition). We do have a very young population. We have suffered a great deal from war, HIV/AIDS and a host of other deadly but treatable diseases. We are known for having beautiful flora and fauna as well as warm, welcoming hearts.

However,  there's more to Uganda than a little village near Jinja. We do have 'regular ' formal schools, permanent housing (not just mud huts), paved roads and shopping malls. We speak English. It may be modified but it's understandable. We can afford to buy soap and clean clothes. As such, not all of us are filthy or wear dirty torn rags. We aren't all orphans and we aren't all beggars. Some of us even have a college education (shock and awe!). 

We do not break into song and dance at the site of a Mzungu. I don't care what you say, if I invite you to a special family event, do not spend your time playing with the bystanders outside the gate. My beef isn't with the people watching. It's with you, for being a rude guest. There's nothing humble about dishonouring an invite and trying to make it seem like the host was at fault for organising the celebration. 

Whereas I agree that there is a sharp contrast between the author's little Ugandan village and a city in the US, it's not fair to write off the whole country. To make matters worse, they go on to advertise our helplessness and make it seem like we are unable to wipe the mucus from our nose. 'Help the poor, starving, filthy African.' (Africa sounds better, because Uganda is too small and insignificant, 'a dot on the map').

What I wondered as I read  was why the author did not work with Ugandans to raise awareness and funds. There are loads of guilt-ridden Ugandans in Kampala who would donate to a local NGO, that's doing work in our country. You just have to sell your idea the right way. 

And the happy thought of the day...I should be doing more. It is embarrassing to see how bad a picture people paint in order to 'help' us. I was challenged to do my bit. Enough of the bad press. I can, should and will do more. 

Coming home soon...

1 comment: