Sunday 24 March 2013

The End


Today is the last time we'll walk together, my brother. I wish you were beside me as you have always been. But, today, you cannot carry yourself. So they must carry you to the place where I must bid you farewell.

For your sake, I am fighting the tears that well up within me. I know you would have held my hand as we walked. I know you would not want me to cry. So, for your sake, I will be brave. I will make everyone know how proud I was that you were my brother and my friend. I will remember your strength and your courage and hope that, some day, I maybe as strong and as brave as you are.

They told me you that, throughout the struggle, you never gave up. You never thought twice about what it would cost you. They told me that you always carried two things with you, your smile and a picture of us as little ones. They told me that even at the end you had your two prize possessions with you: a smiling face and me, close to your heart.

The path is difficult and our destination is far. I wish you didn't have to leave me like this. The sun beats down on me as we walk down the path. It reminds me of the sunshine of our childhood. I remember the laughter ringing as we chased each other over the grassy hills of our little village. I remember rolling around in the mud and how the rain always made things clean.

Now the sun is not a comfort but a pain. I am dry within and empty because of my grief. The sun's heat only adds to my scorching torture. The rain offers no comfort; it merely makes things wet, soggy and mouldy. I have no joy, my brother. For how can I rejoice as they carry you away? Of what use are flowers if you cannot see them or birds singing if you cannot hear them?

We've arrived at the place. I have lost my courage. The wall that held my tears back has collapsed. I beat on your chest, hoping that this may change things. You may not be able to fight anymore, but I will not let go, not yet!

' It's too soon. Brother, why must you go? Why must it be so?! Why?!'

They hold me back, saying there's nothing I can do. This is the way of the world and I cannot change it. They say that things will get better for you. They say that this is the only way for your pain to end. They say that when the time is right, we will meet again. I cannot hear what they say. I cannot feel the ground beneath me.

They took your life and, in a way, took mine.

Good bye, my brother. Good bye, my friend.

1 comment: