Friday 31 October 2014

Riddle me this (8)

God laughs while we run around like headless chicken, knowing not why we run,  whence we come from and to where we go. 

Today, I almost got trapped in a habit that I am trying to wean myself off of. It's those endless arguments on social media. I am fully aware of the falsehood of people's presentations online (including this note, for it only shows a fraction of who I am).

However, I still get enthralled in these conversations. I get consumed  by the need to read people's opinion of my opinion. Yet, I know that these argumuents are won by the arriculation of one's script, and not, necessarily, by authenticity. It's similar to how, in a oral arguments the loudest voice wins, not the most truthful. Does truth really matter? Why must it be accompanied by volume, drama and eloquence for it to stand?

As if You were toying with me, I ended the day by watching a play that dwells on the riddle of truth (or truth of riddle?). 

A man moves to a town with his wife and, later his mother-in-law. The mother-in-law and her daughter are prohibited from seeing each other, which causes much speculation and gossip amongst the locals. 

One story is that the wife died years ago, driving the mother insane. The man re-married a different woman, but he and his second wife pretend that the wife is the mother's daughter. Apparently, this calms the mother.

The second story is that the man's overwhelming passion drove his wife mad. The wife is taken to an asylum, leaving a distraught husband who, eventually,  believes she is dead. The wife is cured and returns. However, the husband refuses to acknowledge her. Family and friends create a farce which results in a second wedding (to the same woman). The end is as messy as the rest of it. You are left to choose your truth, and as long as it gives you peace, settle with it.

God laughs indeed.

Ecclesiastes chapter 1, The Message

16-18 I said to myself, “I know more and I’m wiser than anyone before me in Jerusalem. I’ve stockpiled wisdom and knowledge.” What I’ve finally concluded is that so-called wisdom and knowledge are mindless and witless—nothing but spitting into the wind. Much learning earns you much trouble. The more you know, the more you hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment