Saturday 18 October 2014

An introvert's wedding

A wedding is the celebration of marriage, the most intimate of relationships. I do not believe that it should be a show, or that I must parade myself infront of spectators. I would invite only the closest and dearest of friends.

If I could, I would arrange for it to be at a familiar venue, my parents' house or his, or perhaps a friend or relative with enough room to entertain 100 guests. The decor would be 'silent', blending into the background, not making a 'statement'.

Since I am fiercely loyal and struggle to meet new people, I would only use service providers I already know. I would get weary with having to interview so many caterers and decorators for weeks only to wind up with the first person I met.

You may hear of my marriage but not hear of the wedding date. I will not broadcast it. If anything, I wish we did not have to announce our bans in as public a place as the sunday morning church service!

NO WEDDING MEETINGS! I will only invite the number of people that I know I can cater for. That's just additonal uncomfortable interaction with people that I do not need.

While I appreciate the need to celebrate, I must let you know that, for me, intimacy is key. I love him and he loves me. Let that be the theme and topic of the day, not the food, or the venue or the booze (or lack thereof).
I dont think I need a polished wedding speech in order to communicate that. If I do not mention you in my speech, do not be offended.Today is not about recognising you. Let me be happy, my way.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. still beefing for not getting the invite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guest list was complicated. It was a battle of the clans (and I don't like fighting).

      Delete
  3. Maaaann! All the hustle it involved was too much even for this extrovert! I wonder whether your wedding was at least a little bit close to your desires...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You win some, you lose some. There were many compromises made. But we were married and people were happy.

      Delete