Friday 27 March 2009

In the beginning, God

It starts at the break of dawn
It starts at the beat of a heart
Every smile; every tear
Every laugh; every fear

You start by holding my hand
You start by leading me on
You’re there at the beginning of my journey
You’re there when I take
My first step, First word
First smile, First flutter of my eyelids

It starts in the arms of she who birthed me
It starts when I’m holding the hand of he who loves me
You’re there when I’m crying
You comfort me when I’m sad
My first friend, first kiss
First fight, First hug

It starts in the middle of a classroom
So many eyes on me now
I’m searching for help
It seems You have left me

It starts when I get my first ‘A’
I think I did it on my own
I forget that You’re with me
It breaks Your heart to see me turn the other way
First class, First prize, First goal
First time I turned me eyes away from You

It starts when she walks into my life
Taking my place, stealing my light
It starts when he takes over
I am forgotten, no longer the only one
First child, last thought
My first love is gone

It starts when she calls me over
Calls me her friend, invites me to her circle
It starts but they don’t seem to like me
Once again, I feel alone
Last choice; lost hope; Invisible;
My first heartache begins

It starts when he sits at my corner
It starts when he holds my hand
It’s been a while anyone’s seen me
His smile melts my heart
First crush; new hope; First ‘love’
My second heartache begins

It starts in the middle of another class
The smile at me, telling me to hold on
It starts and this one never ended
They still see invisible-me
My loves; my lights; my joys
My very best

It starts when he showers me with his love
He says I’m his angel and this must be heaven
It starts but I could never hold on
We’re together but I still feel alone
No hope; no way; no chance
My third heartache begins

It starts at the back of a dark closet
It starts when no one else can see me
I know I’m wrong, too tired to fight it
Years later, I wish I had fought
You see me, You see my struggle
You’re there but I choose to turn the other way

It starts at the break of another dawn
Your light shines through my darkest night
Though I think I’m sinking deeper
You catch me and carry me home
New hope, new life,
New chance, again

It starts when he smiles into my eyes
I’m out of breath, swept of my feet
It starts and our hearts fit together
I was sure this was the final one
My home, my him, my hope
My fourth heartache begins

It starts and I forget my first love
I run my own way, choose my own path
It starts and I think I’ve got it covered
Till it’s too late, shattered pieces on the floor
Last chance, lost hope,
I’ve lost my faith once more

It starts and I’m back at the beginning
Counting heartbeats, laughs, steps and tears
This time we’re in it together
I’ll follow, You lead me on
First love, first hope
My life, my miracle
My all

3 comments:

  1. hmmm..this is really deep n long...must be some phase ur going through...so who was the persona refering to here

    ReplyDelete
  2. the story of my life, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. partly because i'm hungry, mostly because it it is true, this poem unwraps like a bar of chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete